UserGuiding stores user history on browsers' local storage by default. We create random unique user ids and relate them with the corresponding user histories.
However, you can opt for User Identification, a feature we provide within the Growth and Enterprise plans and, relate user history with the Ids you've generated for them.
Enable User User Identification
You can enable User Identification in UserGuiding Panel > Settings > User Identification.
- Click Enable User Identification Button.
In the opening window, you'll find the directions to start and complete this process successfully.
You can add this code to any place within your Js file. Please do not add it within your UserGuiding Container Code.
Once you add it successfully, click on the Enable Identification Button to see if your implementation is done correctly.
Once enabled, your current MAU and usage data will be reset.
Pro Tip: Visit the embedded pages as an end-user to successfully initialize the process.
Establishing the User Identification Feature
The first argument should be the id of the user, and the second one is optional custom attributes.
name: 'John Lennon',
- We store user_id as a string, so you can use any data type that can be converted to a string.
- You can add the code above to any place in your JS file that suits you. Please don't add it to the container we've given you.
- If you already have active guides, they'll stop showing from the moment we activate the feature for you until you set user id correctly.
- With this option, MAU calculation is based on user ids you've set.
- Since the storage is independent of the browser's local storage, so clearing cookies or application data won't affect UserGuiding history.
- You can ensure your user see guides only once even on different browsers or devices with this option.