With this feature, you can send precise user ids for your end-users. This cancels out MAU's dependency on unique browser sessions. Instead, you start defining your exact MAU count (user base) with the ids you send us.
For instance, if you send 2000 ids for 2000 different users, only those people can see the live UG contents (guide, checklist, etc.) you have. And, your MAU count will be 2K.
This feature has additional perks such as having persisted user data at UG, detecting event history for specific users, and access to our user API.
How to Enable User User Identification
You can enable User Identification in UserGuiding Panel > Settings > User Identification.
- Click Enable User Identification Button.
In the opening window, you'll find the directions to start and complete this process successfully.
You can add the recommended code (having the identify method) to any place within your Js file. Please do not add it within your UserGuiding Container Code.
Once you add it successfully, click on the Enable Identification Button to see if your implementation is done correctly.
⚠️Important: Once enabled, your current MAU count and analytics data will be reset.
Pro Tip: Click on publish changes button and visit the embedded pages as an end-user to successfully initialize the process.
To test if the implementation is done successfully, you can follow the steps given here.
Establishing the User Identification Feature
This part of the implementation requires technical knowledge and access to your source code. You may ask for the help of your developer colleague.
If you want to implement user identification with Google's Tag Manager, more information can be found.
The first argument inside the identify method should be the id of the user. The rest is optional; you can send custom attributes with the same method.
1st row in the example below is a sample id being sent with the identify method. The 2nd implementation includes custom attributes being sent after the user id (the first argument)
name: 'John Lennon',
⚠️Important: For the custom attributes you send within identify method, the data source should be UserGuiding. More information can be found here.
- We store user_id as a string, so you can use any data type that can be converted to a string.
- You can add the code above to any place in your JS file that suits you. Please don't add it to the container we've given you.
- If you already have active guides, they'll stop showing from the moment we activate the feature for you until you set the user id correctly.
- With this option, MAU calculation is based on user ids you've set.
- The storage is independent of the browser's local storage, so clearing cookies or application data won't affect UserGuiding history.
- You can ensure your user sees guides only once, even on different browsers or devices with this option.