Help Centers are support widgets containing a list of organized guides. They are generally placed on dashboards to provide 24/7 automated-continuous-support for end-users.
Guides in a help center can be triggered if you click on their names. By following the guide's lead, end-users can complete any task that is pre-prepared for them.
In this article, we will show you how you can, too, create a help center for your web application.
Since Help Centers are different versions of Checklists, you can also watch How to Create Checklists - Video Tutorial to learn to create Help Centers.
How to Create a Help Center?
Before starting to create help centers, make sure you've done the followings:
- Login to panel.userguiding.com and download the Chrome Extension of UserGuiding.
- Create the guides which you want to display inside a help center.
- Be sure to set the same container for guides and the help center.
- Guides' triggering methods are set to the custom trigger, and their status' are active.
Important: If the guide you placed inside a help center is not active, it won't be visible in the live version of the help center until you activate the guide too.
Note: The following help center is created for our sample platform called Playground UserGuiding.
Creating a Help Center:
If you follow the below steps, you can open the page in which checklists and help centers are created.
Here, you will find the default setting for a Checklist but by simply changing its Format to Help Center and editing, you can create a Help Center.
- Click on the Checklists option under the “Content” section in the left-hand menu.
- Then, click on the + New Checklist button.
You will open the page in which checklists and help centers are created. You'll start with the Content tab.
- Give your help center a distinct name, easy to recognize.
- Choose the help center format.
- The search function can be on or off.
If it’s on, you will be able to edit the writing on the search bar placeholder and no matching results message.
4. Define a specific title and (5) a subtitle for your help center.
Next, we’ll decide on which guides will go inside the help center.
- Open the dropdown containing the guides.
- Add guides into the help center by clicking on their name. Check the preview and see when guides are added.
- Continue by adding the rest of the guides.
- If you want to change their order, drag them using the arrows icon located on the left side of the Guide's name.
- Next, access the Configure tab and define a targeting page for the help center to decide which pages you want it to be visible. Here, it's set to all the pages the playground dashboard has.
- Then choose the user segment who can see the help center. This one is visible for all users.
- Set the appearance for the help center. In this example, when the end-user access the target URL, it will show already open (Open by Default option), and when all guides are seen, it won't show anymore (Hide as Completed option).
- Important: Your web application must contain our container code to display the help center. And guides should be in the same container as their help center.
- Optionally, you may customize your help center design by accessing the Customize tab. The launcher image, color, size, custom font and position can be re-designed and previewed on this point.
- Finally, activate the help center status, save it, and publish it on your platform.
Important: If you can't see the Help Center Launcher on its target page, check if you have any active ad blockers. If yes, inactivate them and refresh the page to see your help center.