In UserGuiding, page targeting is the process that you determine on what page or pages you want a guide or some other content to display.
You can find page targeting in the Settings Page of a content.
What is Page Targetting?
A target is composed of A Rule and a URL bit and, its functioning is depicted as it is read from left to right.
Let's all look at the guide's targeting that is shown us here below:
If a page's url is equals to https://userguiding.com/, this means the sample guide will be displayed on it.
How to utilize Page Targeting?
You can target a guide to different pages with an inclusive single target or with combinations of various targets. You should:
- Open the Dropdown Menu containing rules.
- Select the rule that is relevant to your case.
- Write down or paste the URL bit of your page(s) into the Url box.
- If you need, "Add a New Target"
- Set an AND or OR condition between your targets.
Now it's time to look at some examples!
1. An inclusive Single Target
You've created a guide and want to show it on multiple pages such as your main dashboard, calendar, and user page. And these pages respectively have the following URLs:
- URL of your dashboard's main page is htttps://myplatfrom.com/dashboard
- URL of your calendar's page is htttps://myplatfrom.com/calendar
- URL of your calendar's page is htttps://myplatfrom.com/settings
We'll take a common bit of their URLs and set an inclusive targeting rule accordingly:
Since all of three pages' URLs starts with htttps://myplatfrom.com/ we can set their target as the image shows. Thus, the guide can be visible upon these pages.
2. Combinations of various targets
For instance, your web application pages are user-specific. Therefore, for each user, there is a unique bit on page URLs. In this case, to make a guide available for all of the users, we can combine different targets:
In this case, we'll use two sets of targets with the AND condition in between and try to exclude user-specific parts, numbers, from our targeting:
Since all of the three pages' URLs starts with htttps://myplatfrom.com/ AND ends with /travel-page we can set their target as the image shows. Thus, the guide can be visible for all of these users.
The guide will work on all sites matching the targeting condition. When you update the guide, it will be presented in its latest form on all target pages.