In UserGuiding, guides can be butt spliced. In other words, you can start a different guide from a running guide's final step.
Or, they can be ramified if you give an option to users to trigger another guide from the middle steps of the guide.
In addition to the above, guides can be placed into and triggered by hotspots as well. To configure any of the above:
- You can use the "Guide List" as a component within guide steps.
- Or, use "Custom Buttons set to the action of Trigger a Guide" within guide steps.
To add guides into your guide steps and hotspots, you can select the Guide List component from the new component menu.
This way, you can use a guide's step or a hotspot as a medium to trigger another guide.
If you add more than one guide, you can ramify the user experiences through guides. This action allows end-users to decide on which guide they want to launch.
- After a click on the Guide List component, the unit will be automatically added just above the green +ADD button.
- To select a guide to be added, just click on the white area.
- It will open the section from which you can select and add guides.
Guide List Items: Here, you can add new guides to your list or extract existing ones from your list.
If you're showing custom guides to specific user segments, turn on the "Hide if segments don't match".
The linked Guide can’t be displayed for an end-user who doesn’t meet your segment rules. When choosing a Guide to be added, be sure to check the segment rules for the List's Guide as well.
Above, from the left to right, respectively you can find:
- Guide List Items
- List Item Properties: Roundness, Height, Font Size
- Surrounding Paddings
Once your Guide or Hotspot is published and a user clicks on a Guide in the List, the current Guide or Hotspot will be automatically dismissed and the listed Guide will be activated.
If you choose a guide that can’t be activated on the current page, the current Guide will only be dismissed.
Custom Buttons set to the action of "Trigger a Guide"
Customs buttons are components that you can add to a guide's step or a Hotspot. To add a Custom Button to a guide's step
- First, click on +Step on step editor and choose a step type.
- Once you select a step, go find it on the page and click on +ADD in green color to open the New Component Menu, then select the Button.
- Once you select the Button, a template button saying GO is going to be added as a new component. You can change its text simply via click and type.
Each time you click on the button, a new one is going to be added. You can change the location of them with the actions of drag and drop. As you can see in the following example:
- We've selected two buttons,
- Change one's text to DISMISS and, put them side by side,
- We've also canceled the default requisite buttons in Chrome Extension.
Now it is time to set the "GO" button a custom action: What is going to happen when end-users click on it?
Then click on a button to open the setting menu, from left to right containing the following items:
- Text alignment
- Surrounding Paddings
- Button Properties
- Action ---> is what happens when you click on this button.
- If you click on the arrow icon on the above image, you'll see that the default action is Go to the Next Step - click on it and see what your options are:
- You will select the Trigger a Guide.
Trigger a Guide
When you choose this option, you will be prompted to select your desired Guide from a dropdown list of guides.
To merge two guides for creating an uninterrupted end-user experience, you can trigger a new guide on the last step of another one.
Through intermediate steps containing custom buttons that can trigger other guides can make your content branch out intelligently.